“Auld Lang Syne” is a Scots poem written by Robert Burns in 1788 and is set to the tune of a traditional folk song.
It is well known in many English-speaking (and other) countries and is often sung to celebrate the start of the New Year at the stroke of midnight.
The song’s Scots title may be translated into English literally as “old long since”, or more idiomatically, “long long ago”, “days gone by” or “old times.”
Consequently “For auld lang syne”, as it appears in the first line of the chorus, is loosely translated as “for (the sake of) old times”.
The song begins by posing a rhetorical question as to whether it is right that old times be forgotten, and is generally interpreted as a call to remember long-standing friendships.
|Auld Lang Syne
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
Happy New Year!!
This New Year’s contract was forwarded to me today by a friend, and I’m passing it along to you!
I pray for all of us that this coming New Year brings with it more prosperity for God’s people; more opportunities to tell people about Jesus, and see souls saved and brought into the Kingdom of God.
I pray it is a year for spiritual awakening and revival in the U.S. and around the world; and I pray also that it will be a year that we see some long overdue changes in our government, as more and more people today are becoming aware, and are signing up for this ongoing process (already begun) to re-inhabit our Constitutional Republic, and take back our government!
· May 2011 be a year of New Beginnings for our country and for us also as individuals;
· May it be a year that we each gain the courage to break out of our comfort zones, and be more about our Father’s business, to reach this world for Christ;
· May it be a year that we each seek closer and more intimate communion and relationship with our closest friend, the Holy Spirit, who is our Paraclete, our Advocate, and Comforter;
· May it be a year that we become more sensitive to Holy Spirit’s leading and to His voice in our lives, and the burden which God has to reach His estranged children, of all those who have yet to know Yeshua; and have not yet received reconciliation and forgiveness for their sins;
· May it be a year that we in the church become conduits and epistles of love to this dying and lost world, for all those who have yet to meet Yeshua (Jesus) and have not yet received Him as Messiah, Saviour and Lord;
· May it be a year where the church pushes out its walls, and takes back the land; that we take the message of the Gospel out into the marketplace, and do so with all accompanying signs, wonders, and miracles, just as we read happened in the Book of Acts;
· May this be a year where we in the United States, who are called by His name (Christ-ian) that we do as instructed in 2 Chronicles 7:14, where we humble ourselves and pray; turn from our wicked ways, and begin to seek after God’s face (which speaks of intimate relationhip); that God would then hear from heaven and heal our land. Selah
Happy New Year to all…